Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Trick-Or-Treat

Trick-Or-Treat

Happy Halloween!

"What are you going to be for Halloween?" is the latest questions asked to my 3 year old on a daily basis. It's a tough question for her. Why? Because, her mommy has informed her we are not dressing up for Halloween. That we don't participate in Halloween because it is scary. Right now, she seems ok with the response but later? How will it all play out? I am not sure. All I know is I am doing what I feel convicted to do. 

You see, growing up at the Dean house, we always dressed up. Dressing up with the funniest part of Halloween. All the candy and sorting candies was the memories I made with my brother and sister. The swapping Hersheys for Snickers because that is my all time favorite candy! All innocent and all fun, right? Yeah - I would say so. 

As I got older, I learned some people didn't participate in Halloween. I learned that Halloween was primarily a time when evil and witchcraft took place. Well, great - good for them. I wasn't doing it for those reasons. I was just eliminating those facts. I was adjusting Halloween to my needs, my liking. 

I met my husband in college and was all about Halloween. He on the other hand was not. He grew up differently. In Brazil, Halloween is not something many people participated in. Marcos never did Halloween in Brazil. He knew about Satan, witchcraft and the horrible things that took place on that day. But, he adjusted and adapted to my traditions of dressing up and carving pumpkins. 

Now rewind to married and with a baby! Oh, I couldn't wait to dress Natalie up for her 1st Halloween!! She was going to be the cutest sheep/pig or princess ever! And that year, she was! :) I met friends along the way and other adults. I learned more people didn't participate in Halloween either. Again, good for them. But we did! :)

One friend in particular had been a great spiritual mentor to me. I admire her and I always was interested in her opinion or her belief on certain matters. She grew up different then me, she didn't participate in Halloween or dressed her kids up. We got on the topic in 2011 after she was debating on allowing her kids to do it that year or not. I was telling her I'd always participated, like her husband as well, and she was thinking of letting her kids in on the action. She seemed to struggle with this decision to do it or not. I responded that, "everyone has their own personal convictions" I personally had never been convicted in this area. I'm very aware of convictions and when I feel convicted the Lord lets me know loud and clear. So that evening outside of Goodwill shopping with her I boldly stated, "Until the Lord convicts me otherwise, we will always do Halloween - I need a reason for not participating - a better reason than witchcraft and Satan."

Be careful what you say! :)

Christmas had rolled in and everyone day I raced to my mailbox to get a Christmas card. It was such an exciting time. I love Christmas! CHRIST-mas. Right. The birth of my Savior, Jesus Christ! The reason for the season!!! Ohh how exciting. 

On this day, I ran inside the house to tear open more cards. I tore open and pulled out - "Merry X mas!" Gasp!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gasp!!! Oh no they did not!! Oh no they did not send me a card that said,"Merry X mas" !! You see, these dear sweet friends of mine don't know Christ were taking Christ out of Christmas. I said to myself, "How dare they take CHRIST out of CHRISTMAS!" You can't take Christ of Christmas! -- WAIT FOR IT... Wait for it...

"You hypocrite! You are no better than they are! What kind of example are you setting? You are taking Satan out of Halloween but they can't take Christ out of Christmas? You hypocrite!" 

I literally fell to my knees and started crying. (Again my heart pounds and tears fill my eyes writing this) The Lord did it! He convicted me. It was such a profound moment in my life. I hadn't heard from the Lord this strong in a long time. I seriously thought I heard His loud and majestic voice fill my living room with those words! The 1st thing I did was call my friend and tell her the big news!

So, 2012 was our 1st year we didn't participate. For husband, it was no big deal. He never did. But for me - it was hard. But I'm reminded of John 15:19; "If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world..."

So as the world carries on their traditions, I sit back and watch. I'm my own person. I've got my own personal relationship with my heavenly Father. He is always watching over me and always has my back. I needed a testimony - a story if I wasn't going to do something, and on that quiet December day, He gave me one. 

love & blessings

Jana

1 comment:

Matheus e Débora said...

Hi Jana, I really enjoyed reading your blog. This topic it is very important for me. As a Brazilian and Christian we don't celebrate Halloween. But it was, and still is, difficult for me to understand why people here, specially Christian don't see any problem with that. It is very contradictory for us. I'm glad to see that God uses different things to help us understand how we should live in a way that glorify Him better. We are not perfects but it is powerful to see when God show us some ways to life and try to be more like Jesus. Debora Inacio