Thursday, July 15, 2010

Post Partum...No not post partum depression Lexie! =)

Ok, Natalie arrived all of 5lbs13 oz of pure joy! I was doing good. My arms felt very shakey and it was weird to hold her. I preferred Marcos holding her for me and I looking at her. They were about to coach me on breastfeeding aka nursing when I got really weak. I remember feeling like I was literally going to go to sleep that moment. I told the nurse, "I'm going to sleep" She said, "I'm sure you feel like that you just gave birth" it was at that moment my secret angel spoke up.

The day before my best friend from childhood called to ask if I had wanted her mother, Jennifer, to be there for the delivery. She was there for my sister and I remember her being such a great coach. She has known me since I was little. I told her I would love for her to come if she was available. On the day of the delivery I called her and she was driving from the Coast all the way to make it on time. Well, she arrived right when I pushing so she wasn't really able to help - that is what I thought atleast. I felt bad that she had driven all the way down only not able to be in the delivery. Remember, my delivery went VERY fast.

So, the angel, Jennifer, spoke and said look her blood pressure is dropping and then Jennifer, who doesn't work at the hospital immediately pulled back the sheets and well that is when they realized there was a problem. She ran out of the room and told all the nurses who were gathered in the hallway that I was hemmoraging and was needed ASAP. Jennifer is a labor and delivery nurse and used to work at River Oaks. Everyone ran in and started pushing on my stomach. I just remember feeling all the stuff coming out of me. But the more the pushed the more I was feeling a little better. If they hadn't caught and "let me go to sleep" I could have hemmoraged to death. I had lost all my color and my lips were as white as my skin. My Dr. arrived all shooken up ready to step in but by then it was to late, they had everything in control. It was pretty scarey.

To give you an idea of how serious it could have been, I'll ask you this question. Has your OBGYN ever shown up at your door? Well, mine did! =) Not only did she show up but she brought us chicken salad from NEWKS and iron pills. Talk about a guilty conscience and not wanting a lawsuit. My mom was pretty upset with her but I look at it as a mistake and everyone makes mistakes and hopefully it was a lesson well learned for her. She is young and she is all about buisness. She delivered Natalie assumed I was small and baby was small and there wasn't much blood and didn't take the time to get everythng out. She was probably in the delivery room for a total of 7mins.

After all that drama, things were better. I was really weak and lost a lot of blood so I needed my blood levels to build back up which can take over a month. I've dizzy and lighthead and it hasn't been very fun. The iron pills are suppose to help and they have helped some.

Natalie is a breastfeeding champ. Talk about a girl who knows what she is doing. She latched on so easily on one side and the other has been a challenge but she can do it. I read a lot of nursing and breastfeeding books. Jeane who works at River Oaks is a God sent too! She was really calm and postive with everything. I don't thnk I could have done it without her encouragement and such praise of what a great job I was doing as a new mom. That really helps. My friends mom, Jane, is a lactation nurse in TX and she was able to help with questions as well. She described the one side Natalie wasn't latching on to well as an apple. It's hard to bob for apples right? The are round and firm. Well, since I was so full and firm it's hard to grasp. So expressing some before will soften things up and allow her to do what she needs to do. Ding! A light went off. That made perfect since and well that worked! =)

We had many friends and family come and visit. My in-laws from Brazil arrived the day after the delivery and my father-in-law stayed a week and then left. My mother-in-law has been here ever since and will be leaving in August. This has been another whole experience that has it's up and downs for me. I'll go into detail of that in my next post about the month or first 4 weeks with Natalie. This should be interesting! =) Stay Tuned

1 comment:

Cintia Listenbee said...

girl, I admire you for being positive, full of faith and a GREAT mom. So good to know you are overcoming all the obstacles that come your way. You go girl!